- Mayfield Nurseries – a wonderful nursery and mental health project. Based in Sholing, Southampton. A local gem with a community café and regular open days. Prices are the best in the south.
- Hillier Nurseries (trade nursery)
- Deacon’s Nursery Isle of Wight- specialist in fruit trees
- Test valley nursery
- Pococks Roses Jermyns Lane, Romsey, Hampshire SO51 0QA
01794 367500 Fax: 01794 323514
- Hardy’s Cottage Garden Plants Whitchurch Hampshire, RG28 7NJ
This list is not meant to be exhaustive but inclusive of all the nurseries I use.
- The Royal Horticultural Society excellent website for all things horticultural incl PlantFinder database
- Arboricultural Association keep a list of approved tree surgeons in your area
- Sparsholt college, Winchester run a number of horticultural, land based courses
- GardenWorld – a searchable directory of over 1000 UK garden centres; access to the RHS ; expert garden help and advice; info on garden products; and an up-to-date events listing. The handy Latin Converter allows users to enter the common name of a plant and find its botanical (Latin) name, or vice versa.
- gardendesign-uk – directory of garden designers help you find the designer closest to you. See me under Hampshire.
- Society of Garden Designers – the UK professional association
- Architectural Plants for those bold plants like palms, etc.
- Burncoose Nurseries for a comprehensive range of mail-order plants Good online gardening stores are proliferating but beware some do not last long – ones that seem to have lasted include crocus and greenfingers.
- Pavingexpert.com is a unique resource of building advice and specs
- Bradstone has a good website which includes a random paving generator
- Bodnant, Bicton and Powis Castle.
- Hillier Arboretum, National Botanic Garden of Wales and Eden project
- The National Gardens Scheme (NGS) garden open days- a great source of inspiration for the small garden owner
- Garden Visit and Travel Guide properties open to the public; 1000+ parks and gardens open to the public in Europe and America, organised by country and (in the UK) by county, with opening times.
- The Association of Gardens Trusts conserving our heritage of parks, gardens and designed landscapes. details of County Gardens Trusts.
- Garden History Society promote the protection and conservation of historic parks, gardens and designed landscapes, and to advise on their restoration.
- Museum of Garden History Tradescant Garden, a 17th century style knot garden on the site of the old church graveyard in London.
Local community organisations/artisans